- 3/4 cup of beets-chopped in food processor or blender
- 1 small apple-chopped in food processor or blender
- 1 1/2 cups of brown rice flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 dash of salt
- 3/4 cup of coconut sugar or of choice
- 3 tbsp of Chia seeds
- 2 tbsp of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 3tbsp maple syrup
- 3/4 cup of almond or soy milk-unsweetened
- 1 tbsp of lemon zest from a fresh lemon
Note: Brown rice flour contains approximately 7% protein, 70% CHO, 5% fiber, and 2% fat.
Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the pureed beets and apples in a saucepan over medium heat with 3 tbsp of maple syrup-stir and cover with a lid. Heat mixture for about 10 minutes with stirring the mixture occasionally. Combine all dry ingredients into one bowl and mix. Combine all liquid ingredients into another bowl. Add the chia seeds to the liquid mixture. Then, add the liquid ingredients into the dry and fold with a spatula. Finally add the lemon zest to the mixture. Scoop about 1/2 cup into each muffin tin. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy!
-Feel free to garnish the muffins with hazelnuts!