- 2 apples-sliced into eighths
- 1 1/2 cups dates-soaked for 1 hour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 chia seed “egg replacement”-please see replacements for directions
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4-1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 vanilla bean-see below for directions on how to open a vanilla bean
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- Dash of all spice and ground cloves
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp pink salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp green pumpkin seeds
- coconut oil-for the pan
- 1/2 cup of water for soaking the apples
Directions: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. You will need a bread loaf pan (9 x 5).
You will need to soak the dates in a bowl filled with water for 1 hour before you start the recipe.
In a medium pan on low to medium heat add the sliced apples, 1/2 cup of water, and 1 tsp of cinnamon. Cover with a lid and let sit for 15 minutes stirring occasionally. Once the apples are all done, let cool and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, coconut sugar, baking powder/soda, 2 tsp cinnamon, ground cloves, all spice, pink salt, vanilla bean, and nutmeg.
In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, olive oil, chia seed “egg replacement”, vanilla extract, and unsweetened almond milk.
Fold the the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients using a mixer. Next, puree the dates in food processor. On low speed, gently fold the dates, followed by the apples and walnuts into the mixture. Pour the batter into the prepared pan greased with coconut oil. Sprinkle the pumpkin seeds on top of the mixture. Bake for 60-70 minutes. Cool for 20 minutes in the pan. Cut into slices and enjoy!
This creation tastes great grilled/toasted as well!