Ingredients for Quinoa Cakes
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 small sweet potato or half of one large (baked in oven 1 hr prior to use at 350 degrees)
- 3/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 yellow squash, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese or cheese of choice. Nutritional yeast is also a great alternative if you are watching your cholesterol levels etc.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 egg, you may also omit the egg and increase the amount of chia seeds in the mixture to remove additional cholesterol. Since cholesterol comes from animal products.
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Dash of sea salt, garlic powder, and black pepper
Greek Yogurt Cucumber Sauce:
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (check the label for added sugars, you want to keep this as low as possible)
- 1/4 cup of cucumbers (pureed in blender or food processor)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 drops of hot sauce, this adds a little kick to it
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- Dash of garlic powder, pepper, and sea salt
Directions: You will need to pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Don’t forget about baking the sweet potato.
First begin by making the quinoa, you will need 2 cups of water with 1 cup of uncooked quinoa. Bring the water and quinoa to a boil and then let simmer (low heat) for approximately 15-20 minutes with the cover on. Once done, set the quinoa aside. Mash the sweet potato with a masher or you can also use a food processor (keep the skin on the sweet potato as well, this provides additional nutrients). Once sweet potato is mashed, put it in a large bowl along with all of the remaining ingredients, including the quinoa, mix until well combined. You will need a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roll the cakes into balls about the size of your palm and place on baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, while you are waiting for the cakes to bake you can start the yogurt sauce.
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and-set aside until the quinoa cakes have cooled. This is a simple, yet delicious sauce for the cakes. For additional flavors and a healthy saturated fat add 1 tbsp worth of avocados. Enjoy!